Fun Facts About Your Dog

We all know dogs can smell better than we do, and they also hear better - but what human sense is better than a dog’s?

Dogs have approximately one sixth of the taste buds humans have (1,700 to humans’ approximately 9,000). This is why dogs will scarf rotting food scraps (or grass) as voraciously as they’ll eat a hunk of steak.

According to the American Pet Products Association, 43 percent of pet dogs in the United States sleep on their owner's bed.

Dogs don’t have fingerprints, but a dog’s nose print is unique, much like a human's fingerprints.

Try leaving some clothing with him that you’ve worn. It’s been proven that the scent you leave behind on your clothes can help.

Three dogs survived the historical sinking of the Titanic in 1912. Two Pomeranians and 1 Pekingese - all from First Class cabins.

Petting a dog can actually benefit your physical and mental health. Studies have shown that petting a dog for 15 minutes can lower blood pressure by 10%, can help lower feelings of stress, depression, and combat loneliness.

It's been proven that they know the difference between an hour and five. If conditioned, they can predict future events, such as regular walk times.

Just like us, dogs have a preferred hand (well, paw) to lead with. You can find out whether your dog is left or right-pawed by giving them their favorite toy or interactive game and seeing which paw they use to help them first.

Stray dogs in Russia have learned how to ride the complex subway system and get off at specific stops in search of food.

Dogs need 70% of their diet from protein, however, kibble falls woefully short with only 21-38% protein on average.

If a dog needs 70% of their diet to come from protein, what makes up the remaining 30%?10% of the remaining 30% should be plant matter; broccoli i an excellent choice.

The last 10% of your dog’s diet should come from organ meat (lung, liver, trachea, etc.), all available at 

Raw! Always feed your dog raw bones. Raw meaty bones (RMB’s) help to keep teeth and gums healthy, provide added nutrition and help cleanse your dog's digestive tract. Never feed cooked bones to your dog, as these can splinter and cause internal injury.

Your pup, on average, can understand 250 words, and gestures. That equates to the intelligence of a two-year-old! That explains why children around this age have a special bond with the family dog and seem to get in just as much trouble.

Your dog’s sense of smell is approximately 100,000 times better than yours. So it shouldn’t be shocking that they can, in fact, smell things such as fear. When a human is fearful, they perspire, and a dog is easily able to pick up on this change and the same is true of a change in mood.

Dogs have wet noses for a number of interesting reasons, including keeping cool, tracking smells, and keeping the nasal cavity moist. That snout does a lot of work!

According to the American Kennel Club, the “lining of your dog's nose contains special mucus-producing glands that keep his nasal passageways moist, along with producing a clear, watery fluid that helps keep him cool.”

Your pup’s nose is one of their most important sensory organs. Compared to humans, a dog’s sense of smell is estimated to be up to 100,000 times more powerful! Tiny glands inside the nasal passage secrete mucus and fluids that keep a dog’s snout wet and cool, protecting the nose and nasal cavity. A dog can only sweat through their foot pads and nose (as well as by panting), which is why you’ll often see dogs licking their noses. In addition to providing protection, this fluid is also believed to aid in sensing smells that humans would never be able to detect. What a schnoz!

'Hey I found your nose - it was in my business again!'

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.